Monday, September 20, 2010

Floating the Tuck

[sorry folks, it's taken me forever to get these posted]

About three weeks ago, I made my way back down to North Carolina for a little time with my family, and my cousin Troy was just down the dirt road, taking a break from the busy life of Austin. Troy, among his multitude of abilities, is an avid fly-fisher (especially when the words small mouth bass are included) and a master drift boat builder. Around six years ago he set out and accomplished the goal of building a little 12 foot wood drift boat, a boat that I’ve admired ever since I stepped foot in it. It’s been a while since both Troy and I were in the mountains of NC at the same time, so I was even more excited to find out he’d be there during my visit.


Upon my arrival on the mountain, Troy and I set out our plans. First, we needed to float the Tuck again. This time, though, Troy suggested (wisely) that we float an area he’s only done before in his canoe. When both forks of the river are releasing water it is possible to drift from Moody Bridge on Roy Tritt Road down to the dam in Cullowhee. And that’s just what we did.

The fishing was for the most part slow. The water levels had a bit to do with the eating habits of the fish, but we both pulled nice sized trout out of the river. In fact, by day’s end I had caught a 3-run-homer (rainbow, brown, brook). The prize of the day was with this beautiful brook trout.


Troy also hooked into a nice brown.


One thing I’ve learned is that Tuck trout seem to look much bigger in the hand than on film.

No comments: