Friday, August 13, 2010

A break in NC: canoe fishing Lake Sequoyah (Highlands, NC)

Simple as this: don't do it.  Don't waste your time (like we did), load up your gear and canoe (like we did), head over to Highlands, NC (like we did), and drop into Lake Sequoyah.  There's nothing there.  We'll there might be.  We did spot some large carp, and we did have our share of bluegill (and I even swore I had a small-mouth on), but it's not worth the trouble. 

Cousin Troy and I paddled around the lake for a couple of hours, fished some really juicy spots, and were frustrated at the nothingness that lay underneath the water.  Troy kept swearing the houses dump chemicals into the lake to kill off the fish.  My theory?  Well, I believe they avoid stocking the thing all-together.  The best way to keep pesky fisherman away from "our" lake is to keep fish out of it.  Brilliant.  Oh well.  This weekend we're doing a float of the Tuck, and then catching a Ricky Skaggs concert -- excited I am.




No comments: