Monday, September 20, 2010

Fly fishing in Germany, Part 9 - The Apfelstädt River (Neudietendorf)

Well, I back in Germany, and getting settled in a new town, with a new (or better yet, old) mentality.  It took me a few weeks to get my bearings, but once I figured stuff out, I made my way to the closest trout river.


Saturday, after spending an afternoon earlier that week at Fisch im Netz in Arnstadt getting my Erlaubnis and a few flies (they were great), I headed to Neudietendorf to fish the Apfelstädt river.  I unknowingly headed west out of the train station and fished the fly-fishing or spinning rod only section of the river, from about Edelweis Gartens to a few hundred yards above the dam.





Wow.  the Apfelstädt is not an impressive river; smaller than the Gunpowder in Maryland, but the fish I caught were abundant and at times big. 







I had my share of small browns, but this guy takes the cake.  There weren't many deep holes in the river, so I was fishing undercut banks with a light yellow Humpy and an Adams trailing.  He went for the Adams, and I didn't know what I had until I felt the pull.  It was like he was going to drag me out of the river, down to the town council, and complain that I hooked him.  A great fight.




I don't have all the fishing necessities with me.  So I made due.  I wore some jeans rolled up with thermos underneath, some wool socks, and my Keens.  Needless to say, I went swimming, and the jeans didn't stay dry.




A great day of fishing, and I expect to head back to the Apfelstädt to fish the lower section of the river before it heads into Erfurt.  I look forward to it! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking small water, that last brown is a tubby one. Is that a 5 wt? To bad you foul hooked all of them. We got to fish together once I get my License straitened out.

james

someone named Peter said...

Ha! Well, I was pretty surprised at the size of the fish living in it. We definitely need to get together and fish. Just let me know if I can be of any help in the whole crappy process. Especially if it means I can get on a base and buy some american things, like taco mix!

someone named Peter said...

oh, a four-piece five weight my dad made for me a while back. A section of the rod didn't make it through my time in New Zealand, but it's been otherwise pretty good.

Anonymous said...

If I get on how many packs of dry taco mix should I get for you? (if I can't have you come with me that is)

someone named Peter said...

oh, a few would do. But you got to get on the base first.

Kristi-Anna said...

Awesome. I don't know what else to say, cause I don't know anything about fishing but this sounds fantastic.