Wednesday, July 05, 2017

A few hours on the Toccoa



What’s that old saying? “Silence makes the heart grow fonder.” Wait...or is it “distance?” Either way, it’s been a long while since I’ve posted here. I have good excuses: marriage, child, laziness. Take your pick.

And so, my fishing life has begun to atrophy and my waders crack and age due to a lack of use. 

When it comes to posting here, there is also no shortage of complacency. I have fished. Not a lot, but some. I’ve just got more "important: things to concern myself with on the weekends. Did I already mention marriage, child, (oh) and German soccer.

But I’ve decided to break the silence. The cause? A few hours on the Toccoa River, a tailwater that runs through Blueridge, Georgia. I stopped by Blue Ridge Fly Fishing located downtown and they handed me this nice map.




I ended up wading into the river around the TVA Park at Curtis Switch. 




Nice, clear river. Lots of husky 10 inch browns, but one problem: The river is inaccessible. There’s a lot of private land along the banks, which makes fishing the water difficult. I asked around, and nobody has been able to point to a spot where there is a considerable amount of bank to wade up and down.




My few glorious moments on the Toccoa produced several fish, the above picture a great example of these beauties.

Who knows, maybe I'll jump off the highway in the near future and jump into the Toccoa (just making sure the flow out of the dam isn't crazy or I'll be doing more swimming than wading).

No comments: