Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Some final moments on the Tuck

Before I completely sever myself from the mountains of NC, I thought I would post a few pictures of a couple of trips I made down to the Tuck.

The first was with my dad.  We waited out some rain that followed the edge of a thunderstorm and dropped down into west branch near Trout Creek Road.  It's a nice little run below the dam, and the water tends to stay surprisingly cool and clear.  I've caught some nice trout there before, but this go around I didn't even spook one.  Once back at the truck, my dad boasted of landing two.  But I won.  He left with a broken rib.  [Tip of the day: always make sure to place reel and rod butt away from your chest when your falling face-first into the ground.  Always.]



A week-or-so later my cousin Troy and I headed down to Moody Bridge and dropped in a little below it.  We had hoped to float the river, but the water release schedule didn't match the recorded message.  Troy took a few moments to console himself with the kayakers up river, and we decided to get some form of fishing in.  The pool below the bridge street stretches a good 35 yards and was beautifully riddled with rainbows and browns.  I caught the most and was pretty proud of my showing, until Troy ended the evening with a 15+ inch brown.  But....no broken ribs.   

 





Flies used: lighted bodied sulfurs, a key fly for the river outside of blue winged olives, Adams, and tan caddises is a pale morning dun.

No comments: