Friday, August 10, 2012

Returning to Germany

[This post is partly a continuation of my previous posts on getting a fishing license in Germany. Click in the link "German Fishing Course/License” to read through all the posts on licenses and fishing in Deutschland.]

Well, I've made it back to Germany, and the fact that my luggage also made it here in one piece means that I am also headed out for my first day of fishing tomorrow.  I've had an interest in Bad Kreuznach, and there's a small fishing shop there where I plan on stopping, asking a few questions about the area, and hopefully purchasing an Erlaubnis.

I thought I would continue to toss out bits of information about getting and maintaining fishing licenses in Germany.  If you are wondering, "How do I get a fishing license in Germany?" go back and read through my postings on the subject.

So, the question to answer today is, what do I do to renew my license.  If you've already purchased a license, the process is very simple.  Walk in with your old license to the proper office and get it renewed.  What this implies, or better yet requires, is that you DON'T THROW AWAY YOUR OLD ONE!  I had the presence of mind to keep pretty much everything I had accumulated concerning fishing, so I walked in to the Mainz office with my old Mainz license, instead of my more recent Halle (Saale) license.  If you tossed the old license away, then you'll need the original copy of the successful passing of your fishing exam, a picture, and of course money.  Keep in mind, that if ever you get an German document that someone had to stamp and sign, it's worth keeping it around.  I am learning the hard way that the "original" is of utmost importance for the Germans.

I can't remember if I already wrote about this, but two things to note about licenses are 1) that regardless of when you buy them, they expire at the end of December (unless you buy a multiple-year license) and 2) you can continue to use the license you bought from your former state/region until it runs out, and then you will have to get a new license from the state where you actually live. [That I learned when I moved from Mainz to Halle.]

Ok, so I went in to the office of the Fischerei Behoerde, and the very nice lady took my old Mainz license and allowed me to renew it for five years.  That means that every time I step foot back in Germany (until 2016), I can go directly to the fishing club or store, buy my permission form, and start fishing.

The next post to add to this group will likely be on joining a club.

Tomorrow, I fish.  Although, rumor has it Nena will be playing in Mainz tomorrow evening.  I'm torn, fish or this: 


I think the fish will win.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Germany, Mr. Yoder!
greetings from Gotha, Irina.. :))

someone named Peter said...

Thanks Irina! Hopefully I'll get the chance to visit beautiful Gotha and the library. pj

Anonymous said...

:) Yes try it!! Would be funny, I guess, to see you again! And you'll go back to Mainz - right? And when you are back in Germany? At the moment you're still at home, as it seems!? I.

someone named Peter said...

I am back in Germany, and getting adjusted to everything.

Anonymous said...

[Did I forget to click 'publish the comment'?]
Yes I understand that! And how long do you stay in Germany? I hope, that I don't miss your visit in Gotha! Ok - right in this moment Andrew was here! Greetings from him to you and he said, please send mail to him. ok? Have a nice day, still is summer!! :) I.B.

someone named Peter said...

I will be here for a year, hopefully. And if I stop by Gotha, I'll make sure to get some work done in the library.

Anonymous said...

Ok, even for one year, thats cool! So I wish you a good time in Mainz, enjoy the fall - until the cold winter comes! ;) greetings, and maybe see you in the library.. I.B.