Sunday, September 06, 2009

Fly Fishing in Germany, How to get a German fishing license Part 1

[note: This is the first of a series of blog posts describing how to get a fishing license in Germany.  Go ahead and click on the 'German Fishing Course/License' label and read through what I experienced.]

Ok, so many of you readers don't know I am completing a research fellowship at an institute in Germany. That doesn't mean that I left my fly rod at home. But, it does mean that I have to work around the red tape of getting a fishing license in Germany. The posts that I'll make in the next few months will hopefully provide some insight to those of you planning a trip or stay in Germany. So, here are the questions to which I hope these posts on Germany will answer: [and take note that there is a link under "conquered fisheries" devoted to Germany and the process of getting a long-term fishing license.]
  • What must I do to be able to fly fish in Germany? (or, Can I fly fish in Germany?)
  • How do I get a fishing license in Germany?
  • What does the process of getting a fishing license in Germany look like?

As of now, all I know is that there are two options for me. First, I could go through an extensive course and get a year-round fishing license. Rumor has it, to get this license I'll need to take a three month course and pay a large fee. Or, I can get a Besucher-Fishereischein ("visitor fishing license") from the regional (state) office. I am going to do some investigative work on Tuesday, as I register my presence at the Landesamt in Mainz. We'll see what happens.

One thing is clear: fly fishing in Germany has not yet caught on. I was walking by the Rhein today and a man was recklessly casting a fly line (whether it actually had a fly, I don't know) attached to a large saltwater spinning rod. He didn't seem to be actually concerned about actually fishing. Instead, he was looking to draw some onlookers. He cast his line like it was a ribbon in a rhythmic gymnastics performance - making circles and twirling it around. He would turn his head from side-to-side trying to lure people in to watching his "art". The unfortunate thing is not that this guy didn't have a clue, but that people actually stood there and watched.

So, maybe I can encourage some of the locals to actually fly fish. We'll see.

No comments: