Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Florida Keys Yoder Mens Fishing Tournament, Day 3

(I realized the other day that I never blogged this last entry in my journal - better late than never.)

We had been waiting for the rain to come all week (heck, the Yoder's bring the rain), and it finally showed up.... Well, sort of.

Tarpon in the Ocean Reef area garnered our attention in the morning, and my father had several great shots at fish. Still, nothing. By the afternoon , and after a quick trip to find permit, the thunderstorms rolled through.

We didn't actually run into any rain, but we were left without sunshine. That put us at a disadvantage. So, Dave netted some bait fish and headed to Jew Creek for grouper.

When we arrived at our spot a couple of sheep fish were tailing, and I made a few unsuccessful casts. Being chased by the storms, our time was limited. By the end of the day, neither I nor my dad had anything to for our efforts, but we did close out the trip casting to some very wary bonefish tailing on a nearby flat.

So, it took three trips to the Keys, but it finally happened. And all at once. A bonefish and a large tarpon on the fly. Wow. It makes it all the more special that it happened with my dad and brother. Well done.

No comments: